If I see or hear people fighting what should I do?

Generally, the best course of action is to call the police if you think someone is in immediate danger or their life is being threatened. In some cases, bystander intervention can save a person’s life.

A swift law enforcement response can be effective if there is a risk of the fight escalating into domestic violence. While one can directly call 911 and request a wellness check, each local police precinct in New York has a domestic violence office that can provide guidance based on the details of the situation.

Otherwise, it can be a bit more complicated when deciding what to do if one sees or hears people fighting. In certain situations of domestic violence, the arrival of police officers at the scene can create more problems for the victim. For example, he or she may be blamed for the authorities showing up, or the violence may escalate.

If you are worried about any criminal implications of a domestic violence incident, contact the experienced attorneys at Brill Legal Group.

Other Criminal Defense FAQs:



Contact us today for a free consultation. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year. 888-315-9841

Just when I was getting discouraged and was at my wits end trying to find the right attorney for my case, a family member recommended Mr. Brill. He did not disappoint. Mr. Brill and his team are diligent, very professional, encouraging and honest every step of the way. Highly recommended.

- A.S.